Trans Health Patient Advocate
Last Updated: 6/2/2014
Tashia Graham, HR Associate
1340 Boylston Street
Boston, MA 02215
The Trans Health Program at Fenway helps to ensure quality and informed care for trans women, trans men, gender-queer, affirmed men and women, and others who have health care needs unique to gender expressions and identities that may vary from societally imposed expectations or norms.
Trans Health Patient Advocate [Job ID #562]
The Trans Health Patient Advocate of the Trans Health Program (THP) provides direct patient care in the forms of patient advocacy, case management and supportive counseling to trans identified individuals new to, or already established in medical care. Additionally, the Trans Heath Patient Advocate will provide community engagement and THP representation at community events, and program administrative support.
Primary responsibilities include: providing orientation to care, education and / or advocacy support to trans clients entering, or already established in medical care; providing case management, counseling and problem solving assistance to patients; coordinating a weekly drop in “clinic” for trans patients; coordinating and facilitating a series of monthly education / advocacy group meetings; and providing program representation at outside community events.
Additional responsibilities include: providing program administrative support; assisting in planning and carrying out community outreach events and Fenway staff trainings; and collecting and maintaining data pertaining to service utilization.
• Minimum of college degree or equivalent
• Education in related field (e.g. Social Work or Counseling) preferred
• Knowledge of and experience with trans and gender nonconforming populations, including competence in trans issues and cultural sensitivity
• Competence in written and verbal communication around gender dysphoria issues and potential areas of concern to the population
• Knowledge of LGBT issues
• Experience in providing supportive counseling and advocacy
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent time management and organizational skills
• Ability to work harmoniously with diverse groups of professionals, and within a team environment
• Experience working with an ethnically, culturally, and racially diverse staff preferred
Note: Applications or resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
When applying for this position, please reference the job title and job ID #562
Benefits: Fenway offers competitive salaries and has an excellent benefit package that includes health and dental insurance, life and disability insurance, a retirement plan and generous vacation, sick and holiday time.
A detailed cover letter and resume may be e-mailed to email@example.com; faxed to (617) 927-6251; or mailed to: Fenway Health, 1340 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215, Attention: Human Resources
Fenway Health is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Fenway Health is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation or identification, age, marital status, disability or veteran status, or to other non-work-related factors.
⇐ Back to Jobs