Individual Giving Officer
Freedom to Marry is the campaign to win marriage nationwide. With the singular goal of securing a national resolution through victory in the U.S. Supreme Court, we work in close partnership with a broad movement to drive the winning strategy on three tracks: growing the national majority for marriage, winning the freedom to marry in more states, and ending federal marriage discrimination.
The Individual Giving Officer will be based in New York and will report to the Director of Development. S/he will be primarily responsible for advancing and expanding the Engagement Ring, Freedom to Marry’s major donor circle. The incumbent will work with Board, senior staff, and leadership volunteers across the country to set and meet ambitious targets for acquiring, renewing, and upgrading current Freedom to Marry major donors and prospects.
Major Gifts Planning & Execution (50%)
- In partnership with the President, Development Director, and Board Development Chair, lead and manage major gifts program with a particular focus on $1,200 to $50,000 annual donations while assisting with leadership gifts of $50,000 and more.
- Define strategies and key activities for acquiring, renewing, and upgrading major donors in order to reach our ambitious goals
- Identify, qualify, cultivate and solicit prospective major donors
- Coordinate with the Online Program Director to ensure that online fundraising efforts help create a pipeline for new major donors
- Work with our Development Manager to plan and execute major donor events
- Lead and manage stewardship activities by producing materials and tools to communicate frequently and regularly with donors as well as plan appreciation events
- Support the mission and goals of the organization across all programs and departments
Senior Level Volunteer & Staff Support (30%)
- Recruit, support and motivate National Campaign Council volunteer fundraisers with annual revenue goals of $25,000 per member
- Support Board members in their fundraising efforts
- Provide direct support to the President for major donor related responsibilities including scheduling meetings with donors, writing donor communications, etc.
Donor Services & Administration (20%)
- Supervise Database Coordinator’s work including timely data entry and reporting, prompt and updated acknowledgement processes, donor research, tracking of key cultivation and stewardship activities, and general customer service for donors
- Track and report on progress of the major gifts program throughout the year while suggesting and making strategic corrections as needed
- A minimum of five years of successful development experience including at least two years of direct major gifts experience
- Demonstrated ability to secure major individual gifts of $10,000 or more including soliciting contributions directly and managing the solicitation strategies for high-level volunteers and other staff.
- Excellent writing and communications skills (be able to provide writing samples upon request)
- Track record of creative problem-solving, setting and meeting goals, strategic thinking, resourcefulness, and ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to adapt strategy to changing conditions
- Energetic self-starter with a persistent, can-do attitude
- Detail oriented
- The ability to work in a collaborative, productive manner with a variety of stakeholders and convey a professional demeanor to external constituencies.
- Proficiency with basic office software (Word, Excel, Power Point) and experience using donor database software.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced and mission driven organization
- Bachelor's degree required
The position is open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity and national origin, age, gender, physical ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, HIV status, religious affiliation, etc.
Salary & Benefits: Competitive compensation, commensurate with experience. Health care and dental coverage, public transit subsidy, and other benefits.
Email resumes and cover letters in WORD or PDF format to:
Juan Barajas, Director of Development