Peer Health Educator & HIV Testing Coordinator
Sacramento LGBT Community Center
Last Updated: 7/4/2017
David Heitstuman, Executive Director
1927 L Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
Link to job: http://www.SacCenter.org/careers
Sacramento LGBT Community Center
Peer Health Educator & Testing Coordinator
The Sacramento LGBT Community Center seeks a Peer Health Educator & Testing Coordinator to oversee projects and specific outcomes related to the Sacramento LGBT Community Center’s Health Programs Department. This position reports to the Director of Programs and works in partnership with other programming staff and stakeholders as well as directly with community members of diverse backgrounds. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
This position contributes to program goals to increase awareness, decrease HIV infections in the LGBTQ community and provide support to those living with HIV/AIDS. In select instances, the Peer Health Advocate & Testing Coordinator will serve as a liaison to various groups and community partners as well as supervise a team of dedicated volunteers. People of color and trans-identified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Program Development, Delivery, and Evaluation
● Participate in the coordination, development, execution and reporting on community events to reduce internalized stigma and shame experienced by many living with HIV.
● Provide sexual health education, resources, materials and referrals via peer group sessions to inform LGBT individuals about safer sex practices and high-risk behaviors.
● Develop a strategy and focus for Center health programs to reach those who may otherwise avoid more traditional care settings, linking them with the primary care physicians.
● Nurture an atmosphere in which clients feel understood and seen by advocates who are aware of cultural competency concerns, health disparity issues, and access to care deficits.
● Participate in and take responsibility for the tracking of all health and HIV/AIDS-related outreach and education, including but not limited to, the number of outreach materials, and safer sex supplies distributed.
● Assess community needs, solicit input from stakeholders and recommend population-specific and culturally relevant resource lists and referral protocols.
● Develop programs and pathways that provide support, conversation, LGBT-affirming referrals and a sense of connection to the LGBT community through a population-specific and culturally relevant workshops and other programs designed to provide a break from mental health triggers.
● Evaluate and develop accurate lists of referral sources throughout the community.
● Develop relationships with providers of services and other non-profit agencies to ensure the Center’s community resources information bank is accurate, relevant and easy to use.
● Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence by establishing benchmarks, timelines, and the resources needed to achieve strategic goals, proactively recommending and driving improvements as necessary; set standards for accountability and measurements of success.
● Develop and implement awareness and marketing strategies to expand program participation.
● Analyze trends within programs, identify issues, report outcomes and recommend changes as appropriate.
● Ability to work flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, depending upon event schedules.
Leadership & Team Management
● Recruit, select, direct, evaluate, and support the development of a team of volunteers.
● Develop and maintain appropriate training protocols for volunteers.
● Develop engaging workshops and other educational experiences for LGBT community members.
Program Operations & Knowledge Management:
● Develop the necessary systems, processes and tools to better support the facilitation, collection and sharing of knowledge, data and narrative success stories generated by programs.
● Anticipate and plan for the logistical, budget and staffing needs of the programs.
● Assist in the data collection of program use and valuation of volunteer hours and program use.
● Serve as a representative of the organization in collaborative partner networks and at related community and Center events and activities.
● Interface with other LGBT and allied agencies.
● Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence by establishing benchmarks, timelines and the resources needed to achieve strategic goals, proactively driving improvements as necessary; set standards for accountability and measurements of success.
● Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in social work, organizational management, human services, public health, education, communications or related field.
● Minimum of 2 years with experience supporting those with HIV/AIDS with lived or professional experience working with LGBTQ populations.
● Familiarity with and a passion for LGBTQ issues and experience working with diverse populations modeling a client-centered support approach.
● Highly organized and able to wear multiple hats in an ambiguous, fast-moving environment; a driving force who manages toward clarity and solutions and demonstrated capacity for exercising discretion and independent judgment.
● A successful track record in setting priorities, information delivery, and time management.
● A consummate team player with a flexible and creative approach.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills, attention to detail, and interpersonal and presentation skills.
● Personal qualities of integrity, compassion, credibility, and a commitment to the Sacramento LGBT Community Center’s mission.
● Experience with group facilitation, collaborative decision-making, and conflict resolution
● Understanding of grant project management including activity design and data collection to ensure contract deliverables
● Flexibility of schedule, including evenings, weekends, and limited travel as necessary
● Superior computer skills and knowledge including word processing, database operations, spreadsheets, and other software systems
● Valid CA driver’s license with proof of valid auto insurance, ability to drive an automobile, and reliable automobile transportation are required for this position
● A thorough DOJ background check is required as a condition of employment
● Full time, 40 hours per week
● $15 per hour
● Monthly stipend to assist with health coverage
● Paid vacation, sick time, and holidays
● Annual professional development opportunities
Go to http://www.SacCenter.org/careers. Please submit a cover letter including wage/salary history and a resume in a Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF document by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or in-person applications please.
About the Organization:
The Sacramento LGBT Community Center works to create a region where LGBTQ people thrive. We support the health and wellness of the most marginalized, advocate for equality and justice, and work to build a culturally rich LGBTQ community.
Position is located in Sacramento, CA.
The Sacramento LGBT Community Center is an Equal Opportunity employer. We actively seek applications from lesbians, gay men, women, bisexual, transgender individuals, people of color, people living with HIV/AIDS and other disabilities.
⇐ Back to Jobs