Youth Pride Inc.’s mission is to meet the unique and ongoing needs of youth and young adults impacted by sexual orientation and gender identity/expression through advocacy, support, and empowerment to bring about social change. The Executive Director serves as chief executive of Youth Pride, Inc. (YPI) and, in partnership with the Board, is responsible for the success of YPI by providing the overall leadership and management of YPI. The Executive Director is responsible for organizational management and planning, board development, personnel and program management, policy, advocacy and community relations. The Executive Director must be passionately committed to racial, social, and economic justice, especially as they relate to the LGBTQ+ youth community.
Mission, policy and planning
• Collaborate with the Board to identify, create, and implement strategic plans for the organization.
• Identifies problems and opportunities and addresses them; brings those which are appropriate to the Board and/or its committees; and, facilitates discussion and deliberation.
• Informs the Board and its committees about trends, issues, problems and activities in order to facilitate internal policy-making.
• Keeps informed of developments in human services, not-for-profit management and governance, philanthropy and fund development
• Responsible for development and implementation of strategic plans with appropriate board and staff participation.
• Monitor and evaluate achievement of all goals and objectives.
• Provide and maintain adequate and appropriate services, facilities, and equipment and information systems.
• Develop and sustain a diverse funding base that ensures the operation of all core programs, the employment of key personnel and the funding of organizational priorities. Fundraising includes grant writing and reporting, organization and implementation of fundraising events, as well as the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of individual and corporate donors.
• Helps guide and enable the Board, its fund development committee(s) and its individual Board members to participate actively in the fund development process.
• Helps the Board and its fund development committee to design, implement and monitor a viable fundraising plan, policies and procedures.
• Participates actively in identifying, cultivating and soliciting donor prospects.
• Works with Board to ensure financing to support short- and long-term goals
• Works with finance chair, bookkeeper, and other committee members to prepare and present organizational and program budgets to staff and board.
• Develops and sustains an active, engaged Board of Directors.
• Keeps the Board fully informed on the condition of YPI and on all the important factors influencing it. • Keeps Board informed of organization’s operations. Serves on all Board committees.
• Assists in identifying, orienting, and integrating new members and ensuring their active participation.
Public and Community Relationships
• Serves as YPI’s primary public representative. Positions YPI as an effective, vital organization in the community. Represents the organization professionally and responsibly at all appropriate public functions including making public presentations.
• Establishes and maintains contacts with key individuals in both private and public sectors.
• Works with legislators, regulatory agencies, volunteers and representatives of the not-for-profit sector to promote legislative and regulatory policies that encourage a safe and healthy community and address the issues of LGBTQQ youth.
• Acts as an advocate, within the public and private sectors, for issues relevant to YPI, its services and constituencies.
• Support program staff ensuring effective programming.
• Recruit, hire, onboard, train, supervise, evaluate, promote, discipline, and terminate YPI staff, as necessary.
• Provide opportunities for staff professional development.
• Maintain personnel practices in accordance with YPI policies and state and federal law.
• Monitor operations to ensure that employees and practices comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
• Develop an organizational culture that promotes collaboration.
Program Planning and Management
• Oversee all programs, services, and activities. Ensure that goals and objectives are met and that services are coordinated internally and in collaboration with other agencies.
• Manage and oversee staff in their design and implementation of curriculum and programming. Provide program review and modification based on community need.
The ideal candidate is an outstanding leader who can demonstrate experience in non-profit management and youth development work. Candidates must have experience working directly with youth as well as a proven ability to fundraise. Experience managing small non-profits is strongly preferred. We are seeking an individual who is as capable of building relationships with community stakeholders, youth and families as they are with funders and board members. A strong candidate will demonstrate the following:
• Passionate interest in, experience with and understanding of LGBTQ+ youth, in particular youth who identify as BIPOC and/or gender non-conforming .
• Commitment to diversity and respect for a wide range of faiths, beliefs and experiences.
• Flexibility and the ability to work efficiently in an environment with many variables
• Ability to develop positive working relationships with diverse groups of people including program staff, youth, funders, school administrators, and service providers
• Proven ability to fundraise
• Strong leadership capabilities, including teambuilding and staff development skills
• Experience planning, developing, and implementing programs
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills • Ability to manage multiple tasks in an organized and thorough manner
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively Education and/or Experience:
• Knowledge of, experience with and commitment to LGBTQ+ community issues.
• Knowledge in the following areas is required: human services; finance and personnel; oral and written communications; planning and evaluation; and governance.
• Some experience in the field of philanthropy, not-for-profit management and governance, and community relations is preferred. Some general knowledge of fund development is also preferred • BA in relevant field or equivalent experience, and a minimum of three (3) years relevant experience working with youth.
• Minimum of three (3) years relevant experience in non-profit management.
People of color and LGBTQQ* people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Youth Pride, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and service provider and does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, socioeconomic status, disability, age, marital status, personal appearance, family structure and/or responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, gender identity/expression, or HIV status.
How to Apply:
Please email cover letter + résumé, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “[Your Name] Executive Director Application.” Applications accepted until August 23, with an anticipated start date in October, 2021. No phone calls, please.