Freedom for All Americans is the bipartisan campaign to secure full nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ people nationwide. Freedom for All Americans includes two separate entities – Freedom for All Americans, our political arm, and Freedom for All Americans Education Fund, our education arm – collectively referred to as Freedom for All Americans (FFAA). FFAA has a combined annual budget of $3-4M and 20 staff. Our work brings together conservatives and progressives, businesses large and small, people of faith, and allies from all walks of life to make the case for comprehensive nondiscrimination protections that ensure everyone is treated fairly and equally.
With the ultimate goal of securing nationwide nondiscrimination protections for LGBTQ Americans, FFAA works at the federal, state, and local levels to grow support, build urgency, and turbo charge the momentum for comprehensive and inclusive nondiscrimination protections in the states, in the courts, and in Congress. Founded in 2015, FFAA is headquartered in Washington, D.C. with many staff based across the country.
As a finite yet long-term campaign, FFAA is an uncommon hybrid of campaign and ongoing organization with unique leadership demands. FFAA is seeking an Executive Director to assist the Chief Executive Officer/National Campaign Director (CEO/NCD) with carrying out fundraising, spokesperson, and coalition partnership priorities. At the CEO/NCD’s direction, the Executive Director will also provide high level oversight of day-to-day operational health and internal management, while the CEO/NCD oversees strategic design and day-to-day execution of campaign programmatic priorities. Reporting directly to the CEO/NCD, the Executive Director will be a highly public member of the FFAA leadership team, a core member of the organizational executive team, and provide supervisory support to three highly seasoned development and operations leaders who in turn collectively manage a team of three staff and several consultants.
FFAA values inclusion and seeks a team that is representative of our diverse base of support. People of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender diverse people, women, and people of all political backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer/National Campaign Director
Supervises: Chief Operating Officer, Chief Development Officer & Chief of Staff (TBD)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
At the direction of the CEO/NCD and in partnership with the Chief Development Officer:
- Generate fundraising leads;
- Maintain a portfolio of assigned individual, corporate, and foundational donors; and
- Provide day-to-day support to the Chief Development Officer to facilitate their leadership of the development function and the organization’s broad culture of philanthropy.
At the direction of the CEO/NCD and in partnership with the Chief Operations Officer and the Chief of Staff (TBD):
- Provide day-to-day support to the Chief Operations Officer and Chief of Staff to facilitate their stewardship of the organization’s internal operations, benchmarking, and human resources;
- Oversee management of organization-wide planning and reporting processes, metrics benchmarking, and cross-function communication, coordination, and collaboration; and
- Oversee day-to-day management of financial and operational health.
Communications & Coalitions
In partnership with the CEO/NCD, serve as an organizational representative in the media, at events, in stakeholder meetings, and in coalition support, as needed.
- Deep commitment to advancing LGBTQ equality and nondiscrimination protections.
- Proven organizational management, fundraising, and public speaking experience, ideally including prior executive director/CEO experience.
- Deep knowledge of and positive relationships within the LGBTQ movement, as well as an understanding of LGBTQ policy issues.
- Exemplary communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong emotional intelligence, self-awareness, empathy, curiosity, confidence, and humility.
- Results-driven, solutions-oriented, and excellent at building relationships and networks needed to achieve outcomes.
- Thrive in fast-paced nonprofit and campaign environments.
LOCATION AND TRAVEL
Candidates must be able to work from home and feel comfortable regularly engaging with colleagues and partners by phone, video conference, email, and other digital communications tools. FFAA will provide all of the tools necessary to succeed in this position.
This position requires significant travel, including at least 2 staff retreats, ad hoc organizational meetings, movement gatherings, fundraising events, individual donor meetings, board meetings, and more.
Salary is commensurate with experience. [$140,000 - $160,000]
FFAA provides a competitive benefits package, including health care, dental, vision, 401K match, long and short term disability, paid sick leave, and a generous vacation structure including many paid holidays.
To apply, please complete our online application form which requires a resume – applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, so applying early is recommended. For questions please contact our search advisor, Roey Thorpe, at RoeyThorpe@gmail.com.
FFAA will consider all applicants solely on the basis of their qualifications to perform the responsibilities of the position for which they are being considered, without regard to race, color, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, religion, marital status, ancestry, age, matriculation, pregnancy, childbirth, tobacco use, personal appearance, disability, or veteran status. The Organization does not allow, condone or tolerate discrimination against any protected class. This EEO policy is applied to all areas of employment and program participation, including recruitment, hiring, work assignments, compensation, promotions, transfers, and opportunities for training and career advancement. FFAA is an equal opportunity employers and will comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in employment.